Subject: Re: Autoconf for toolchain "replacement library"?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/13/2001 12:04:51
On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 02:37:06PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:

 > The goal here is to make the host tools usable easily on any host OS,
 > without causing undue maintenance headaches.  The only alternative I can see
 > is a boatload of #ifdefs and some OS-specific .h to set the #defines, and
 > that seems more painful to me than simply using autoconf as needed.  Do you
 > have other suggestions?

Having been down this road before with other packages I've worked on,
I think using autoconf (but NOT automake!) for this stuff is perfectly
reasonable.  It's already used in the GNU toolchain that we use, and
solves the problem we need to solve pretty well.

I'm all for it if it means better cross tool support for NetBSD (which
it does).