Subject: Re: XF4 build breaks with userland of 11/6
To: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@kpnQwest.no>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/08/2001 07:58:08
Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 10:46:22AM -0500, Rafal Boni wrote:

>> 	It croaks making makefiles in xfree/xc/lib/GL (specifically in the
>> 	GL subdirectory); it looks like make finds a GL/Makefile in the
>> 	parent directory (xfree/xc/lib) and declares the target made; as
>> 	a result no Makefile is actually made in .../lib/GL/GL

> I'm seeing the same problem in another place:
>
> cleaning in programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/mono/mono...
> make: don't know how to make clean. Stop

...and that latter one is in the XF3 tree.  So it's obviously a common
failing related to the path searching facility in make, triggered when
you've got a directory with the same name as its parent, targets with
the same name in both, and a vpath that lets it see the outer one when
you want it to be looking for the inner one.

It's not a bug; it's a feature.  :-)

I'm stumped trying to figure out the proper way to tell make what's
really meant here, but "inquiring minds want to know".  A description
of the eventual resolution posted as a followup to this thread would
be appreciated!

-tih
--
Puritanism -- the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.