Subject: Re: CVS commit: sharesrc/share/mk
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/06/2001 09:42:56
Sorry for the delay..

On 28 Oct 2001, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> > what's wrong with the having the build default to using the
> > in-system tools when those are the only tools available?
>
> Plenty. First of all, people will bitch that stuff is broken when it
> isn't. "Why is it that building the world with USETOOLS=no doesn't
> work?" "Because we don't support that -- you're now supposed to use
> the tools so that we don't have to worry about tools getting out of
> sync."

Have we ever done a major compiler update on a release branch? I don't
think so, but want to check.

So what will happen when someone has 1.6, and goes to build 1-6-release?
Will s/he build a set of tools nearly identical to the in-tree ones (most
likely identical), just because we have this setup?

Take care,

Bill