Subject: re: New possibility to move "obj" logic *out* of make(1)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/01/2001 02:41:58
   While musing about it this morning, I realized that this new ability will
   make it possible to move the logic which finds the obj directory out of
   make(1) entirely, and into <bsd.obj.mk>.

cool.  i hate this bug in `make'.  i has bitten me multiple times,
most recently trying to build ghostscript, which does a 'mkdir obj'
and builds things into there, so while it works the *first* make,
any future make will lose....

   And finally, it should make it possible to set MAKEOBJDIR and/or
   MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX in mk.conf.  Currently these must be set in the environment
   in order to function properly.

hmmm. MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX handling is done before Makefile is read, so
i'm not sure how you will cope with that.  sjg will have more to say
i'm sure, though...

.mrg.