Subject: Re: Toolchain Update (31-Oct-2001) (fwd)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/31/2001 19:13:54
On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 09:26:56PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:

 > - Create libsa bootloader for dnard port (requires a working conversion from
 >   ELF to a.out for the resultant binary) [thorpej]

Currently soliciting opinion from binutils mailing list about the
elf->a.out objcopy problem.

 > - Convert installboot(8) programs currently using nlist(3) for finding
 >   block-load tables to using a detectable structure [thorpej?]

sparc port is fixed -- will apply changes to other platforms soon.

 > - Fix libsa loadfile() to be cross-compile safe for int bitsizes [thorpej?]

loadfile() is now fixed (as much as I think it should be fixed).  elf32
and elf64 handling are now explicit, and they byte-swap as necessary
when used in a non-_STANDALONE environment (e.g. installboot(8)).

I don't think it's worth the effort to fix the a.out and ECOFF loadfile()
loaders.  We should be spending the effort getting ELF everywhere, relegating
the a.out and ECOFF loaders to backwards-compatibility native tools.

 > - Make sure to use byte swapping where needed in installboot(8)s [thorpej?]

This is logically part of the nlist(3)-elimination project -- but go ahead
and leave it as a separate bullet, if you like.

Something to add:

	BFD- and loadfile()-using dbsym(8).  Simon Burge has this
	partially done, and I suspect he'll finish it unless he
	wants to hand it off to me.