Subject: Longstanding bug in "make -I ..."
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/30/2001 19:08:30
It seems that we have a holdover all the way from rev. 1.1 of
src/usr.bin/make/parse.c that causes make(1) to use the -I paths even for
"system" makefile includes in <angle brackets>.  All -I does is put the
include path higher up in precedence than the -m's.

I can fix this trivially.  However, the thing I wonder is whether this would
be a Bad Thing.  We've used "make -m" extensively for all kinds of things,
and that behavior won't change; however, is there anyone out there who
actually uses "make -I" to override the system makefile include path?

Currently, .include "foo" and .include <foo> are identical, and that's
probably not a good thing.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/