Subject: Re: CVS commit: sharesrc/share/mk
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/29/2001 15:29:33
Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com> writes:
> There have been requests to add a default for TOOLDIR, and I have had some
> reservations about this.  However, I do plan to add such a default, set to a
> subdirectory of the top-level objdir (src/Makefile will include <bsd.obj.mk>
> and create an objdir like everyone else, too).  This will make the defaults
> buildable without forcing anything to be set.

I would very much like this for another reason. I need a directory to
throw the metadata log for non-root builds into, and such a directory
(or its objdir) would be perfect for such a purpose.

> : I think it is fine for consenting adults to explicitly set USETOOLS=no
> : if they want to, but what you're arguing is that the default should be
> : to let people to do things the unsupported way. Well, that's not right.
>
> Right.  Also note that (as documented in the new BUILDING) the USETOOLS
> variable will be tri-state, to emphasize the very different nature of
> building without TOOLDIR.
>
> "yes" = same as "yes" today.
> "no" = don't use TOOLDIR, but *fail* if an attempt is made to compile a
>        version-specific toolchain component (such as support libs)
> "never" = don't use TOOLDIR, and blindly compile all the bundled toolchain
>           components (the "traditional way to build")

I don't think your explanation of the three states is sufficient for
naive users to understand -- you might want to expand it in BUILDING.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com