Subject: Re: Problem in new toolchain builds (need comments)
To: James Chacon <>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/24/2001 10:38:20
>>>+MAKE+= _SRC_TOP_=${_SRC_TOP_:Q}
>>Also I'm not at all keen on appending to MAKE.
>>Use .MAKEFLAGS or

>Doesn't work. MAKEFLAGS gets passed in, but doesn't get evaluated so it's

The MAKEFLAGS #define in the source is ".MAKEFLAGS" btw.
When you update .MAKEFLAGS it is processed as though it came
from the command line.

>pointless. Check the source, only $MAKE gets re-evaluated on a new make.

Not so.

>>will do the trick.

>Didn't try that. $MAKE works and reading the source MAKEOVERRIDES doesn't
>get evaluated either.

Again, .MAKEOVERIDES is not the same as MAKEOVERRIDES.
.MAKEOVERRIDES is used to control how command line var assignments get
propagated to sub-makes.  I know - I implemented it :-)