Subject: Re: mklocale, take 2
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/22/2001 13:43:52
>For mklocale it isn't even as if anyone can really be worried about the
>extra cpu costs of doing manual packing of the data - it isn't exactly a
>tool that gets a huge amount of use.

The problem is mklocale is using the same definitions the libc code uses (ala
same headers) and the libc code I beleive just maps the locale files directly
into the structs rather than reading and packing them in manually.

Definitly the code which writes this out to the file is unpacking because it
htonl's all the fields.

Ok, in the mklocale case I'm gonna go see what it would take to turn this
off. But...this argument still applies because the kernel can definitly not
be compiled without these sorts of features.

James