Subject: Re: top-level Makefile
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/21/2001 03:26:19
What exactly is the harm in putting back the 3 other targets? These are
specially done before the real dependall occurs anyways and it's quite
useful to have them when you're testing something and want to rerun that
part of the build in place only.

Quite honestly this Makefile isn't that complex..(People getting lost in
the system .mk ones is a different story). If you don't semi-understand
the build process, then yes just fall back on make build and the vars as
described at the top. But...If one knows what one is doing having the
flexibility to have those pieces all at the top level is very convenient.

Basically I hear good reasons these should have been there and why they should
go back. If the goal was to reduce the overall complexity, sure..clean out
the old cruft (like domestic) that just doesn't make sense anymore. But if
the goal is that normally this file is opqaue then leaving in the convenience
rules has no negative consequences for the average builder whatsoever.

James

ones>