Subject: Re: mklocale and the new toolchain
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/17/2001 13:41:12
On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, James Chacon wrote:

: I'd prefer snapshots to build clean then waiting for cygwin hosted support.
: I actually doubt you'd find anyone who compiles snapshots on a regular basis
: to want them to remain broken untl a private pet project (or work related one
: for that matter) is perfected to the point that it can be checked in to support
: all of this. Foreigh build support is a great thing (and I have also looked
: into parts of this), but leaving the tree in a non-buildable state snapshot
: wise in the meantime is ridiculous.

mklocale was disabled precisely to *allow* the tree to build properly.
Enabling it without proper fixes will break the build on platforms that will
be otherwise completely usable as hosts shortly.

: I disagree. As the diffs show, making this compile on a 1.5.x system is trivial
: and there's no reason not to do it. Instead telling everyone running -current
: past early Sept "you no longer get locale's built" is kinda drastic.

Making this a drastic change was deliberate, so that (hopefully, though my
mails to itojun have gone unanswered) those interested in the locale code
would fix it properly.

This thread is going in circles, and I have to focus on today's issues.  Go
ahead and implement it, but please leave the host build where it is in the
tree (e.g. don't make a src/tools version of it yet).  I'll look at
splitting the runetype.h file apart later.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/