Subject: Re: mklocale and the new toolchain
To: jchacon <jchacon@dragon.sys.gtei.net>
From: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/17/2001 13:16:46
>Currently *nothing* in the tools area meets your definition for cross
>compiling. Everything includes netbsd specific include files, netbsd defines,
>etc. I've looked at what that would take to make work on say Solaris and it's
>not terribly easy because there's a good chunk of libc/libutil that would need
>to be brought in as a compat libary also.

Let me correct that.

Almost nothing that is NetBSD code meets this. (Make being the obvious
exception but it's also built with ifdef's like this as well for porting it...)

Looking quickly I see gencat, lint*, menuc, msgc, mtree, etc

(I'm not checking them all right now).

Ok, so I don't use HOST_TOOLCHAIN..I could use MAKE_BOOTSTRAP since that's
the convention make/config already use. In any case ifdef'ing out sections
of code so pieces of this build on foreign platforms is exactly the convention
already in place. I just used a different define here to make it obvious what's
going on. Neither file I've touched in this way has any external scope into
userland directly (i.e. runetype.h doesn't get installed into /usr/include).

James