Subject: Toolchain status list (17-Oct-2001)
To: None <email@example.com>
From: Todd Vierling <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 10/17/2001 12:53:52
Here's what is currently on my toolchain agenda. If you have items to add,
please let me know so that I may update this list.
=== CURRENTLY IN WORK ===
The following items have been implemented and are being cleaned up for
committal; they should appear in-tree within 24 hours.
- Fix some places where nonstandard tools are used by GNU build systems
(perl in texinfo) based on bogus file timestamping. Some of this was
dealt with by overriding autoconf/automake, but more is still needed.
- Top level make(1) bootstrap for vendor makes or old NetBSD make(1)
- Make MKTOOLS tri-state: allow a way to build the "traditional way" as
opposed to breaking the build if native toolchain bits need updating
- Document new toolchain system (tools/README)
- Fix pathnames that are invalid on Winblows (Cygwin) hosts ("aux",
The following items have been implemented but need some fixes before
they will be commitable; they should appear in-tree within 48 hours.
- Add cross-groff, cross-menuc/msgc, cross-crunchide/mdsetimage (bfd
based), and tools/crunchgen
- Split binary sets for old and new toolchain default architectures
=== BROKEN TOOLCHAIN ISSUES ===
- Fix undefined symbols in libg2c (pr 14222)
- Investigate why parse.h is sometimes not built for compile_et in both
tools and usr.bin (prs 14187 and 14239)
=== NEW FUNCTIONALITY ISSUES ===
- Investigate various MIPS reloc lossage on new toolchain (tech-toolchain,
- Integrate mipseb properly into config.guess and configure.in segments
- Fix gcc/bfd/ld on alpha to use our current (historic) PLT format and
nop/unop sequence properly
- Create a default based on host machine for TOOLDIR
- Find workaround for double math issues on sparc64 (pr 14095)
The following tasks are important but are blocked because I'm focusing on
the issues above -- help would be appreciated:
- Create cross capable mklocale (jchacon has done some work thus far on this)
- Fix ld.elf_so to work with newer MP-safe PLT format on alpha
(and change gcc/bfd/ld to use it on systems that are capable)
=== FURTHER DEVELOPMENT TASKS ===
These tasks are postponed until all tasks above are completed.
- Port forward changes to gcc 3.0.x and gcc-current
(may create cvs.netbsd.org CVS tree for collaborative merge work)
- Submit patches for all active gcc branches to FSF
- Investigate why the "new" nop/unop sequence on alpha gives us pipeline
caching issues (this has been an issue since binutils 2.9.x)
- General clean up of build system, particularly toolchain2netbsd
-- Todd Vierling <email@example.com> * Wasabi NetBSD: Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/