Subject: Re: USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN toolchain build not parallel-safe
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/15/2001 10:53:14
> I added some "-j1"s to src/toolchain/Makefile to prevent parallelism inside
> the GNU makefiles (which doesn't completely work, and is a FSF-known bug).
> Apparently ".NOTPARALLEL:" doesn't work as advertised -- -j options still
> get passed on down the line when recursing.

I wouldn't say "doesn't work as advertised"..

The only description of .NOTPARALLEL in make(1) is "disable parallel
mode"; it's reasonable to read this as meaning either "just for this
makefile" (the current behavior) or "for all makes started here and
below".

The reason why it behaves as it does currently is that .NOTPARALLEL
clamps the *current* makefile to a single job, but only after make put
the passed-in -j option into MAKEFLAGS.

It would be straightforward to change this, and I think we should..

					- Bill