Subject: Re: Foreign Build w/ USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN: binstall doesn't use ${STRIP}
To: Chris Jepeway <jepeway@blasted-heath.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/25/2001 15:42:54
On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Chris Jepeway wrote:

: > I'll put it in the environment instead.  The reason for that would be
: > because I want to avoid arch-dependent binaries where possible (note that
: > $TOOLDIR/bin contains only one lint, binstall, mkdep, ...).

: Well, does it make sense, then, to do both?  After all,
: even if you don't change the compiled path to strip inside
: binstall, leaving it at /usr/bin/strip is still "arch-dependent."

That's correct; it refers to the default (host's) compilation environment.
binstall is used by the tools/ builds, too.

Setting it in binstall's environment is perfectly fine for our purposes.

: Say, now that USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN is moving along as the default
: for -current, is current-users a more appropriate place for non-guts
: questions about the toolchain?

Well, tech-toolchain is better.  Build break reports can still go to
current-users.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5.2 available on CD-ROM soon!  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/