Subject: Re: getting starting with powerpc and the tool chain
To: None <>
From: David Brownlee <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/09/2001 11:42:55
On Mon, 6 Aug 2001 wrote:

> I became aware of the existence of both the Toolchain and the
> tech-toolchain list after I realized I wanted to avoid the package
> system, not because there is anything wrong with it - I would rather
> compile stuff, and that I was having trouble getting some things I

	Just a note that the package system is designed to make it
	very easy to compile from source...

> wanted to use to compile. I'm using NetBSD 1.5.1 on a PowerMacinstosh
> 6500/300 with a 603e (I think) powerpc processor. The stuff I would
> like to compile consists mostly of FSF software or software that would
> compile better with the full complement of current tools available - I
> want the full GCC (all the compilers) and I would also want to run
> GCL. I was able to get some of the tools to compile simply by
> downloading them from the Gnu site and compiling them, though this
> does not work with big programs.
> I downloaded the "gnu" directory, /pub/NetBSD-current/src/gnu to a
> local directory /a/gnu so I'd have it.
	That is the set of gnu licenced tools used in the NetBSD base
	system, in various cases tweaked specifically for NetBSD.

> I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I may have missed some
> documentation. Feel free to tell me to RTFM as long as you include the
> URL for the FM. Does it need to be moved to /usr/src/gnu to work? Do I
> have to compile each program separately? Do they all work under
> powerpc architechture?

	If you want to run the 'current' gnu tools you need to upgrade
	the entire system to current.

	As it happens the toolchain is being reworked to make this a lot
	easier and to update to more recent gcc and binutils. Hopefully
	there should be an announcement soon...

		David/absolute		-- No hype required --