Subject: Re: .mk "subroutine" for getting objdir locations
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/08/2001 09:56:47
On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

: >: and if MAKEOBJDIR is an absolute path, it uses that.
:
: >Right, because it's simply done via a chdir().  Noted; this is simple to
: >fix.
:
: I _hope_ you don't mean "fix" make.  This behaviour is extremely handy.

No, the .mk file, of course.

However, I'm going to revisit the possibility as a new variable substitution
modifier in make(1) (that will open("."), go to the variable's corresponding
objdir, getcwd(), then fchdir() back to the old dir).

This is the proper place that a srcdir->objdir resolver should go, as a
couple people have mentioned.  I'm leaning toward lower case `o' as the
modifier letter, unless someone here knows that it's a conflicting choice.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/