Subject: Re: WARNING: -current toplevel build process changing!
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/02/2001 11:03:39
On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

: >"make" != "bmake" on all platforms.  And, when a build-dependent change is
: >made to bmake, "current bmake" != "src tree bmake", either.  Building a
: >bmake from the src tree is the only way to guarantee workability.
:
: Would this bmake happen to be my autoconf'd version of our make?

Nope, just a "${HOST_CC} ${HOST_CFLAGS} -DMAKE_BOOTSTRAP -o
${TOOLDIR}/bin/bmake usr.bin/make/*.c usr.bin/make/lst.lib/*.c"....

: bootstrapping bmake is pretty simple now and it's configure
: has a bunch of --with-foo args to allow setting defaulst for
: MACHINE, MACHINE_ARCH as well as what goes into DEFSYSPATH.

The build harness's bmake does not have a compile-time MACHINE or
MACHINE_ARCH.  They only need to be set once in the environment (via the
generated wrapper, which also sets CC and whatnot), and will be inherited
from there.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/