Subject: re: WARNING: -current toplevel build process changing!
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/02/2001 21:52:14

   The basic concept here is that the build tools are completely separate from
   the installed tools.  You can use the installed tools to create pkgs,
   compile third party src, and even compile xsrc.  "src", however, is so much
   in motion that using the host's tools is a recipe for disaster--that's a
   well established fact.  (Think what will happen if I just flipped on the new
   binutils and gcc in the old build structure and things like libgcc or
   libstdc++ built out of a very specific order....)

it is well known that this is sometimes frail.  there are some of us who
believe in doing (at least) a dual-build so that you end up building the
tree with itself.  that, to me, is the *only* failsafe way of building a
netbsd release/snapshot.  i'm fairly sure i'm not the only one with this
belief....

please do not make this *required*.. (it can default, i don't care.)

.mrg.