Subject: Re: WARNING: -current toplevel build process changing!
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/01/2001 20:43:34
On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 08:33:44PM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> Because the top level make needs to work on *vendor* makes, which may not be
> bmake, and thus cannot read /etc/mk.conf.  The bootstrap harness builds
> bmake from the source tree in use, and needs to put it in TOOLDIR, which has
> to be defined *BEFORE* bmake is run.
>
> Now, I can probably put in some kind of hook to try to pry this out of
> mk.conf if the native system make is bmake.  I'll look into this.

One thing that I have done in build scripts sometimes is read
/etc/mk.conf with a shell script to extract env. variables for
make.  Could you do something like this?  I.e., as far as make
is concerned, it's an environment variable, but as far as the
operator is concerned, it's set in /etc/mk.conf (or $(BUILDROOT)/mk.conf?).

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD dev. for _your_ Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SH3, Sparc, x86, etc...