Subject: soft-float builds
To: None <>
From: Simon Burge <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/30/2001 22:22:08
Further to my recent soft-float changes, I'd like to add an option to
the bsd.*.mk files to turn on building soft-float binaries for platforms
that usually default to "normal" floating-point enabled code.

What I was thinking was something along the lines of a

make variable, which would do things like add "-msoft-float" to the CC
and CXX (and FC?) variables, and be used in the libc/arch/* makefiles
(or even just libc/Makefile) to enable softfloat support in libc.

Any comments on this, or better ways to do it?

This raises a further question about whether or not we should have a
separate MACHINE_ARCH for softfloat-built userlands and what it should
be called (soft<arch>, soft-<arch>, ...).  Any ideas here will be

Simon Burge                            <>
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service: