Subject: Re: compiler compiled with march=i686 appears broken?
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/28/2001 19:54:21
On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 03:08:40PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> I observe the following (1.5V/i386):
>
> Using gcc compiled with -march=i686, and compiling kernel without -march=i686
> generates broken kernel:
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3879639 May 27 18:19 /netbsd
>
> Using gcc compiled with -march=i686, and compiling kernel with -march=i686
> generates broken kernel:
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3885847 May 27 18:06 /netbsd.686
>
> By broken kernel I mean you see the numbers in square brackets and then it
> immediately reboots without a single kernel message appearing.

  I saw that same thing on a pentium pro--see discussion
"kernel won't start on i386" May 11--12 on current-users.  (I never got
around to reporting back that I had conclusively determined that it was
the compiler compiled with -march=pentiumpro that caused the breakage,
though that was what I speculated in my last message in the thread.)
Compiling the system with -march=pentium is OK, though, which is good
enough for me for now (hopefully the upcoming toolchain upgrade will
fix the problem).