Subject: make version identifier
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/16/2000 03:22:31
We use netbsd make at work building a large project.
The build servers are mostly freebsd, and while I have an interest in
getting one make for *BSD, right now that's not the case.

It has been suggested that it would be handy if the build tree could
check that the make being used is up to the job and bail imediately if
not.  Sounds like a good idea.  However I'm not convinced as to the
right way to do it.

Logically one might have make set:

MAKE_VENDOR=NetBSD
MAKE_VERSION=20001215

and one could have:

check_make:
	test "${MAKE_VENDOR}" = NetBSD -a "${MAKE_VERSION}" -gt 20000600

Of course if we ever get a single make(1) for *BSD the vendor bit
could be dropped.

Perhaps a magic target:

.VERSION:	20000600

would be neater?  Though the error from a make that does not grok it
is less useful?

Input welcome.

Thanks
--sjg