Subject: Re: dlopen() and libgcc.a
To: Nick Hudson <nick@nthcliff.demon.co.uk>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/08/2000 19:55:32
nick@nthcliff.demon.co.uk said:
> I would agree that linking in libgcc is the right thing to do.
> However, libgcc is not available as a shared library or even compiled
> -fPIC.

Yes, I've noticed this too. Perhaps there are reasons - parts of it
needed in early startup? Is there a problem with libgcc linked in
statically? Is it supposed to make a difference from the symbol
scope POV?

> LIBGCC_SPEC was changed by Charles recently to specificaly not include
> libgcc.a when gcc is invoked with -shared

Ah yes, and pulled up, as a bugfix for mozilla on ppc.
Isn't there -nostdlibs if one wants the standard libs to be left out?
With c++, libstdc++ is still linked in regardless of -static, so this
looks more like a hack.

> There seems to be some magic used by Linux systems that
> I don't understand.

The mandrake distribution I tried does only have a static libgcc.a,
as we do. So the example I quoted in my last mail will link in these
runtime functions statically into the object to be loaded.

best regards
Matthias