Subject: ELF and m68k
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/05/2000 11:02:47
Hi folks,

I'm *just about* ready to switch mvme68k over to ELF, after ironing out
all the MD dependencies on a.out plus a couple of MI/m68k gotchas.

Before I do, there are a couple of questions I'd like to pose here:

1) Linking static binaries sometimes produces the following warning(s):

/usr/libexec/ld: Warning: size of symbol `_<mumble>' changed from <N> to
<n> in <objfile.o>

Common values for `N' and `n' are `8' and `4' respectively. In such a
case, the symbol in question really is 4 bytes long so quite why it's
recorded as being 8 bytes long in the object file is beyond me. It doesn't
appear to have any detrimental effect on the resulting binary...

2) gnu/dist/ld/emulparams/m68kelf.sh defines TEXT_START_ADDR as 0x80000000.

While not inherently evil, this seems bogus. (Although it did flush out a
long-standing buglet in newfs(8) ;-)). Is there any reason not to change
this to 0x2000 to match the a.out address?

Cheers, Steve