Subject: Re: ELF OS id, and multiple architectures
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/16/2000 16:29:57
On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 03:44:01PM -0700, Eduardo Horvath wrote:
> I beleive ld.so is supposed to be in /usr/lib/<platformid> as
> well.  That's not to say that we can't put all this stuff wherever we want
> to, but if we want to adhere to the ELF spec that's where we should be
> stuffing things.

The problems start when you have two NetBSD platforms, X and Y, and Y can run
binaries from X without modification, but can't use its native shared
libraries for that, because of ABI differences. NetBSD has/will have several
of these instances.

If /usr/lib/<platformid> is a way around this, and it makes us adhere
to the ELF spec as well, then I say we should go for it.
I see no other good way to solve it. Two alternate suggestion would
include to have a /emul as for OS emulations, but that's using
a sledgehammer. Most of the time, you do not want the alternate
path searches, except for shared libraries. The other would be
having a smart ld.so and supply an alternate path for shared libs
ourselves. But, if you're using alternate paths already, why
not make them /usr/lib/<platformid> and match the spec as a bonus.

- Frank