Subject: ELF OS id, and multiple architectures
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/15/2000 23:18:38
I noticed that the EI_OSABI field in the e_ident part of the ELF
header now seems to be widely accepted. We have an "official"
identifier (2, which gives us 3rd place behind SysV and HPUX, yay! ;-)).

Anyway.. I was wondering if the GNU toolchain inserts the OS identifier
these days. Does it?

Secondly, for several platforms, the ELF ABI specifies that the
dynamic loader (and possibly the libraries) should be in
/usr/lib/<platformid>. We do not do this, and I do agree that
it's ugly. However, we're probably going to be faced with several
ports that can run binaries that need other libraries. Like
sparc and sparc64, possibly mips and mips64 (or whatever MIPS
LP dialect), and in the future ia64, which can run ia32 binaries.

Perhaps we should at least add support for /usr/lib/<platformid>
in the dynamic linker, but not make it the default. Opinions?

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD Sales, Support & Service. http://www.wasabisystems.com/