Subject: Re: a patch for dynamic a.out support in binutils
To: None <fredette@alum.mit.edu>
From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/03/2000 19:58:17
On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Matthew Fredette wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I've been working on a patch for binutils to support the NetBSD
> dynamic a.out format.  (a.out still has some life in it, right?
> I think that several ports will still be using a.out in 1.5?)
>
> I've finally gotten things to an interesting point.  By interesting, I
> mean that under host i686-pc-linux-gnu, I have cross-linked a dynamic
> libglib-1.2.so.0.7 and a dynamic testglib for targets
> m68k-sun-netbsd1.4 and vax-unknown-netbsd1.4.1, and the testglibs both
> run successfully.

I have also worked on this for some time (oops. it's about 2.5 years since
I started...) I also have something "nearly working" and I do now know
how this should be done the right way...

I haven't looked at your patches yet (will do it during the weekend) but
I have some questions about how much you have tested it. My approach was
also to modify sunos.c,  and it was rather easy getting something to work
reasonable, but I found a couple of things that was "hard" without doing
major changes in sunos.c

- inderect/warning symbols didn't really work (but that may have been a
  bug in my code) This gave me big trouble with libc.

- I had problems supporing -x and -X with shared libs.

- I had problems supporting -Bsymbolic flags to ld (i.e. problems with
  ld.so.)

Generally, libc, libbfd and libstdc++ gave me _lots_ of problems even
though I though my ld was "bug free". Have you tested some of that above?

   /Krister