Subject: Re: gcc/binutils/gdb import proposal
To: None <tv@pobox.com>
From: Bernd Salbrechter <bernd@mycity.at>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/19/2000 23:10:27
Todd Vierling wrote:

> : PS: While I've your attention.  Assuming you drag in GDB 5.0 and then
> : make local changes, could you please remember to tweek
> : gdb/Makefile.in:VERSION so that the GDB identifies its self as something
> : other than ``GDB 5.0''.
>
> How about a version number of "x.y.z-TNF"?

What do you think about a general format like:
(one letter parts are numbers, the other strings).

editions.  The seconde number in the edition can be used for working
editions not released, the released editions should go with one number.

For "<editor>" you set "TNF".

This clearly separates the version number of the maintainer form
the edition number of a local editor. Whit your suggestion, is
guessing, what goes to the edition and what to the version. I.e.
the following release sequence:

GDB-5.0  # Original
GDB-5.0.1-TNF  # NetBSD edition
GDB-5.0.1.1-TNF  # NetBSD minor edition (just in case)
GDB-5.0.1  # Original minor release
GDB-5.0.1.1-TNF  # WHAT this number is already in use!!

Just an idea
Bernd