Subject: Re: deplibs lossage
To: None <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Jaromír Doleček <dolecek@ibis.cz>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/07/2000 23:49:13
erh@nimenees.com wrote:
> > So apparently ld doesn't know about the paths hardcoded into libgd library.
> 	There aren't (shouldn't be) any hardcoded paths in libgd.

The idea is to allow other applications to link explicitly only
against libgd and not to care about whole other set of random
dynamic libraries it can depend on. Works nicely for e.g.
shared objects (I have mod_php4.so compiled that way).

> > eg. I have
> > dolecek~ > ldd /usr/pkg/lib/libgd.so.1.9
> 	doesn't ldd use the contents of /etc/ld.so.conf when figuring
> out where the libraries are?  I think the problem with the link is

No. Afaik it just runs the binary with LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS set
(or some other magic environment variable for ld.so).

> 	That's what I said, but there was some resistance to doing it, so
> I never got around to making it work that way.

Does any of those resistants tell us again what are the reasons
against ?

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/