Subject: Re: NOTE: gcc 2.95 import soon
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/07/2000 08:24:22
On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Frank van der Linden wrote:

: Could you give an example of how binutils and gcc previously "worked
: together", but how this won't work if you put gcc 2.95.x in there?
: I would really prefer it if gcc 2.95.x is imported in a way consistent
: with other GNU distributions.

The big problem is that binutils and gcc aren't maintained in a unified CVS
tree, yet there are hooks to use binutils from within a gcc tree.  This
requires that the opcodes, bfd, gas, and ld directories be moved into the
gcc tree; the top level configure.in/config.guess be pulled from a single
source; and that some libiberty discrepancies be addressed first.

Now... I am writing up a proposal that I'll post to tech-toolchain tonight
that details what I want to do (bumped to Wednesday).  It does use gnu/dist.

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)