Subject: Re: -lwrap and externals
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 04/07/2000 11:51:02
>> Libwrap has a (IMHO) broken API requiring externals by the caller:
>>
>> [ ... ]
>>
>> Anyway, this sounds like a bug in the i386/ELF linker to me...
>
>s#i386/##; - it appears to affect all NetBSD ELF platforms, not just
>i386.  I've seen the same on mips and alpha as well...
>
>As I understand it, it's pretty bogus for a library to require external
>symbols.  Whether or not the current ELF linker behaviour is correct or
>not seems to be debatable.

s/NetBSD ELF//

it's broken, period.  i've seen this "broken" behavior on different
operating systems and different platforms.  usually the program that
doesn't define the symbols itself can do without the library (eg
mail.local in a new sendmail release) so simply relinking without
-lwrap is fine.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|