Subject: Re: dl* functions on ELF platforms
To: None <,>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/01/2000 22:26:51
> > It seems enough for dl* to be defined in, doesn't it?
> having a libdl.{a,so} would help generally writing platform independent
> programs aswell as custom .so libs that use dl*. sure you can specify the
> defintions to be linked against and included but it would make a much
> cleaner makefile if all platforms handled libdl in a simalar way.

libdl does not always make cleaner Makefile for user programs and
user libraries, since all platforms do not provide
For instance, since FreeBSD-ELF has already included dl* in libc,
it will probably not provide forever.
However, libdl will make cleaner Makefile for libc.

There is probably not much difference whether provide libdl or not.
However, I don't prefer to increase the number of libraries, since
it may make maching problem.  If libc depends on libdl, it seems not
necessary to separate into libdl.  And, I guess that if we provide libdl,
then we should change the soname and/or the major revision number of libc.

Takuya SHIOZAKI / ASTEC Products, Inc.