Subject: Re: K&R vs. ANSI call conventions (was Re: a new KNF)
To: None <tv@pobox.com>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/18/2000 00:45:38
> : Not only such code potencially breaks ABI, but that code doesn't work
> : with programs which don't include header file correctly.
>
> However, NetBSD's ABI IS ALREADY ANSI, regardless of the fact that library
> functions are defined with K&R.

Changing existing functions to ANSI style doens't break ABI.

But changing functions to ANSI style makes examination by "gcc -pendantic"
impossible. This is the problem, since number of library functions
continuously increase.

BTW, Ted lemon suggest about adding compiler option which warns
K&R incompatible function. (without K&R style function definition
and gcc -pedantic)
If that option exists, we do not need gcc -pedantic hack.
--
soda