Subject: Re: K&R vs. ANSI call conventions (was Re: a new KNF)
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/16/2000 11:18:28
On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, ITOH Yasufumi wrote:

: See info of gcc and follow
: 	* C Extensions::
: 	    * Function Prototypes::
: and you will find the description about the behaviour.

My point was:

- The original thread proposed making all NetBSD code use ANSI prototypes
  and definitions.

- Someone noted that doing so would break the ABI, because the current
  NetBSD libraries have K&R definititions.

- I pointed out that, since we are improperly combining ANSI prototypes and
  K&R definitions, we have been using ANSI calling conventions all along
  (because of gcc's extension), and going to ANSI definitions would not
  break the ABI.

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)