Subject: Re: cross-compiler to VAX outputs bogus float literals.
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/06/2000 23:53:06
> any way we could coax you into making this available in pkgsrc?

Patience my son :)

There are still some other problems with the system that need to be
worked around or fixed properly.

BTW with this system compiles tend to be preprocessor limited; this
means that ``make all'' running time approaches ``make depend''
running time.

The depend step uses cc -M but if it used cc -MD then it would be able
to cache the .i file for later use. Since this is a serious disk space
hog, it'd have to be optional, but I imagine that most of us doing
serious builds have no problem trading disk for time...

If someone who understands bsd.*.mk would like to investigate this
idea, I'd really appreciate it. Supposedly it was used on Mach to
generate .d files while compiling and then merge those into .depend
somehow. This is actually better than my first thought (making .i's
be an optional output of ``make depend'' and have ``make all'' just
reuse them) because depend ceases to be a separate step and simply
happens incrementally while doing normal compiles.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com