Subject: Re: another makefile mystery: COPTS
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/19/2000 10:20:17
On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> > What defaults get blown away?
>
> threegx:101% grep ^COPTS */conf/Makefile.*

[lots of COPTS?= ...]

As Frederick pointed out, they won't overwrite existing COPTS. :-)

> That is correct.
>
> But I don't think it should presume that I'll never want to throw in an
> extra option (like -pipe) from the command line without editing the makefile.
> I also might be using a higher-level process to config and build kernels,
> and that might want to add its own options too, perhaps in the environment.

I think the idea is that you'd use the makeoptions to explicitly set these
options in the kernel config file. That way your script only has to config
FOO; cd ../compile/FOO; make depend && make . ;-)

Take care,

Bill