Subject: Re: another makefile mystery: COPTS
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/19/2000 07:49:27
On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> No offense, but I think you missed my earlier post.

Guilty, as charged. :-)

> I was hoping to simply config a kernel and then use the moral equivalent of
>
> 	env COPTS=-pipe make
>
> but I _don't_ want to lose the "-O3 -m68040". If I did this:
>
> 	env COPTS="-O3 -m68040 -pipe" make
>
> then that would work, but then I have to use a different command on many
> arch's, and I have 9 of them, so far.

The problem is, the ``COPTS=-O3 -m68040'' goes directly into the
generated .../compile/KERNELNAME/Makefile (see for yourself), where
it overrides any environment variables. There's nothing you can do
later, in any included file, to get the environment variable back.

So try this instead:

makeoptions     COPTS+="-O3 -m68040"