Subject: Re: Changes to libexec/ld.aout_so/arch/sparc/md.c
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@lestat.nas.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/18/2000 10:35:52
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 100 14:52:51 -0800 (PST)
>  eeh@one-o.com (Eduardo E. Horvath) wrote:
>
>  > I don't understand this.  ld.*_so is a dynamic linker.  While it can
>  > be cross-compiled, how do you expect it to cross-link?  If it's
>  > cross-compiled, it still needs to issue the proper iflush instructions
>  > there is potential corruption.
>
> I think the old ld(1) uses these functions for doing a.out shlibs.

Exactly!

I'm trying to make cross compiling tools so that we can cross compile
platforms which used ld.old (gas.old seems to cross compile quite well).

Check out the .PATH directives in gnu/usr.bin/ld/ld/Makefile and in
gnu/usr.bin/ld/Makefile.inc (I think that's the one).

AFAIK CROSS_LINKER won't be defined in ld.aout_so's compilation, so it
will be unchanged.

Take care,

Bill