Subject: Re: Crosscompiling
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/30/1999 10:05:59
Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

>         o       (personal hobby horse)
>                 Re-do (cleanroom) any significant work done on
>                 the GNU toolchain so that it can be merged
>                 back in to the main GNU sources and base the
>                 cross compilers on that.
>
> At any time, critical bug fixes needed for NetBSD to operate correctly
> may need to be made to the toolchain; therefore, the sources for the
> toolchain used to build a NetBSD release (either native, or cross)
> should come from the NetBSD source tree.

Yes, that is a reasonable strategy once there is a stable toolchain that
only needs minor tweeks for all NetBSD ports.

My concern is with what happens before this stage is reached (when doing
a new port or importing an updated tool).  Compare the process:

	o	take GNU application

	o	certify

	o	apply local fixes
		and submit testcases
		(and fixes) to GNU

with what is more typical of the current reality (and not just NetBSD):

	o	take GNU toolchain

	o	re-do base port to NetBSD

	o	certify

	o	apply local fixes