Subject: Re: Crosscompiling
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/29/1999 10:05:30
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>
> > Anyway, my cross compile wish list is to see:
> >
> > 	o	Eliminate the technical barriers that stop
> > 		developers using any ``UNIX like environment''
> > 		when building NetBSD.  (ex, try building
> > 		an 1.4.1/i386 boot disk without NetBSD).
>
> The problem is that you'd need to come up with something like the vnd
> device for the other systems. You need to make an ffs on a file... :-(

This is a sort-of-interesting point for another reason - at the moment
you need to be root to build a release.  What would be good is an
mtools-like frontend for FFS so that you don't need to create a vnd to
build the memory disk filesystem for the install kernel.  Hmm, do we
support root on an MSDOS/FAT filesystem?  There's nothing to say the the
install kernels that have a memory disk need to have FFS on them...

Of course there are other things like setting owner/group/perms inside
of the generated release tar files, but this shouldn't be too hard...

Simon.