Subject: Re: Crosscompiling
To: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/28/1999 14:34:02
On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> Anyway, my cross compile wish list is to see:
>
> 	o	Eliminate the technical barriers that stop
> 		developers using any ``UNIX like environment''
> 		when building NetBSD.  (ex, try building
> 		an 1.4.1/i386 boot disk without NetBSD).

The problem is that you'd need to come up with something like the vnd
device for the other systems. You need to make an ffs on a file... :-(

> 		This is just a return to the good old days
> 		when the kernel hacker used what ever system
> 		was available to do kernel development.
>
> 	o	(personal hobby horse)
> 		Re-do (cleanroom) any significant work done on
> 		the GNU toolchain so that it can be merged
> 		back in to the main GNU sources and base the
> 		cross compilers on that.

What needs cleanrooming? All of the changes we've made should have no
license restrcitions on returning to the GNU tool chain. The problem is
that our tool chain which supports a.out shared libs is quite old..

> 		In all likelyhood new development will use the
> 		latest GNU tools and not the NetBSD tools.
>
> 		The more stuff that is merged into the GNU
> 		source tree the less work (in the long term)
> 		that is needed to build/maintain various toolchains.

I think this is the idea. I think the main concern was that the newer egcs
& gcc weren't quite stable.

Take care,

Bill