Subject: Re: Changes to bsd.lib.mk for some architectures
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/13/1999 14:53:05
Jason Thorpe wrote:

> I have one suggestion...
>
> Instead of eliminating libfoo_pic.a, do the following:
>
> 	libfoo_pic.a -> libfoo.a
>
> that way 3rd party programs that might want PIC code don't have to care
> about knowing if libfoo is inherently PIC or not :-)

I thought about this a little...  It actually makes life simpler if
we keep the _pic.a libraries (but not quite as clean IMHO, which is
why I got rid of them) - we then don't need anything in bsd.own.mk (or
bsd.*prog.mk), the ld.*_so Makefiles don't need changing either, and it
does away with changing set generation too.  I'll change it back that
way.

Simon.