Subject: Re: c++ targets
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/19/1999 20:55:48
>: as you can see, the object files get made using the c++ compiler, but
>: the target (built from the objects, hence using the .o suffix rule)
>: uses only the c compiler, which lacks a rather useful library.
>: setting CC to c++ at the top of the makefile fixes the link, but
>: strikes me as a "nasty hack".
>
>It's actually what is necessary.  After all, how do you know what language
>was actually used when linking a random bunch of .o files?  (Remember that
>bsd.prog.mk can actually handle mixed languages, since it compiles to .o and
>then links everything.)

would it be insane for me to imagine that it might be nice to set the
value of the compiler proper independantly of the linker compiler?  by
setting CC to something like "c++", i imagine that i'll probably
affect other things (not the least of which would be that all c code
would get compiled using the c++ compiler, requiring me adjust my
cflags accordingly).

or am i just rambling?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|