Subject: Re: Using same .o files for pic/non-pic libraries.
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/13/1999 07:56:58
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> You're trying to get an advantage for your machines, in the "make
> build" benchmark, right?

I wouldn't say that - a 60MHz R4400 is never going to win the speed
race.  I use a 400MHz PentiumII and a 500MHz Alpha for code testing
anyways - the mips box just feels slow!  The point I'm getting at
is that it does seem rather stoopid to do the same (relatively
time-consuming) thing twice when you don't need too...

FWIW, a "make release" took on the order of 18 hours on this machine for
1.4.1, and it took around 10ish for 1.3.3.  Getting back anything would
be a win :)

Simon.