Subject: Re: misc/8271: Can't build GDB cross debugger, readline missing
To: Andrew Cagney <cagney@cygnus.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/03/1999 10:05:28
Andrew Cagney wrote:
> Excerpts from mail: 2-Sep-99 Re: misc/8271: Can't build .. Jaromir
> FYI. In general a given GDB release expects the readline it was bundled
> with.  The reasons are several: bug fixes still being merged into the
> official readline; added functionality not found in readline; known
> stability, buildability, and behavour.

FYI, gdb is working just OK with the readline emulation found in
libedit, which has been written about a year and a half ago (just
around NetBSD 1.3 release cut) and not touched afterwards. It
doesn't seem gdb is using anything special or really needs some
exact readline version. So it should be fairly well just use system
libreadline :)

> I don't know how easy it is to do the same with an arbitrary installed
> library (libedit or libreadline).  At any time that library could be
> several versions in front or behind what GDB expects.

gdb doesn't touch readline internals so much as e.g. bash, so it
doesn't depend on any exact features to be present.

> > Anyway - the readline sources should be at the place they
> > are for "original" gdb. I don't thing those ~400KB or so
> > would matter so much.
>
> src/gnu/dist/readline? Yes please :-)

I'd prefer gnusrc/gnu/dist/gdb/readline or whatever directory gdb uses.
Note that no other program in NetBSD tree is using readline and should not
(bc and some-other-I-forgot program with readline support are using
libedit with the readline emulation).
BTW - readline "API" is just totally horrible IMHO.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
"The only way how to get rid temptation is to yield to it." -- Oscar Wilde