Subject: binutils and mmap
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/18/1999 23:53:00
I have had problems with nm dumping core lately. The problems turns out
to be that nm is trying to free memory that it gets from libbfd. That
memory is unfortunately mmap:ed since we configure libbfd to use mmap.

I have talked to the binutils maintainer. He said that USE_MMAP in
libbfd was a hack they tried since it looked like a good thing to do,
but it actually was slower than the malloc-using version, so they
decided not to use it. He suggested that the best thing to do for us
was tho stop using USE_MMAP, or elese we need to change the bfd
interface somewhat.

The reason I enabled USE_MMAP was that someone complained that
strip hit the memory limit when stripping m68k debug kernels,
and this was solved by mmap. But bfd map the file private, so
this will fail again when the resource limit VM bug is fixed.

So I suggest we stop using mmap, and that this change is pulled
up in 1.4.1.

Comments?

   /Krister