Subject: Re: fixing gcc RTL template library
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/09/1999 15:47:39
: >As far as I can tell, gcc open-codes adddi3 on the following machines:
: >a29k alpha arc arm clipper convex elxsi i370 i386 i860 m32r m68k m88k mips
: >ns32k pa pyr romp rs6000 sh sparc vax we32k
:
: :-> If even Core-class people are getting confused about which bits of
: gcc's backend library gets used, maybe that's a good reason to fix our
: lossage and build only the RTL insn-emulation functions that're
: acutally required (i.e., those that arent defined in a port's .md file)?
:
: More a tech-toolchain thing, tho. Todd, are you listening?

Well, I wasn't listening until Jonathan passed this along to me.  I've been
off of tech-net for almost 6 months.

Exactly why would you have to yank any of the support functions from libc?
If a given operation is open coded, they should never be called, so what's
the lossage?  (Remember that I haven't seen the start of this thread, though
I have moved it to tech-toolchain with a Bcc to tech-net.)