Subject: re: gas.new and m68k
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/22/1999 18:49:54

   I read that in some article about Linux.  I don't really know the details,
   although they did mention they hoped to get the compiler working by the
   end of the year 8^).

that would be nice :-)

   > now that NetBSD/sparc is going to be ELF shortly, the ports can share the
   > programs.  now is when we really need libc_march shared libraries to ensure
   > that the right SPARC architecture uses the most efficient bits available..
   > again, like solaris does...

   This is somewhat a moot point until we can get a compiler that generates
   decent 64-bit code, but there will certainly be things that use the kvm
   libraries that need to be compiled 64-bit to grovel through the kernel.
   And if that's the case we don't really want to need two different
   toolchains to build a distribution.  But loading an architecturally
   optimized libc for running emulated binaries would be a good thing.

we *definately* need to work out how to deal with having the ability to
generate both 32bit or 64bit code easily from a single installation...