Subject: Re: gas.new and m68k
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/21/1999 17:45:51
On Fri, 21 May 1999, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> 	- fix the toolchain problems on the sparc64

The toolchain works fine.  It's just egcs that's  totally useless.  It
will:

Suffer from all sorts of assertion failures

Generate incorrect parameters for some instructions if optimization is
turned on

Generate totally bogus debug information that won't make it past the
assembler if `-g' is enabled (making gdb useless)

Completely fail to understand the concept of Position Independent Code
(making shared libraries impossible)

And the C++ compiler just refuses to generate any code.  But since the
egcs development environment requires gperf which is written in C++, this
makes it a bit diffdicult to fix egcs.

OTOH, the Linux SPARC V9 port is also suffering from these problems.  They
get around this by not supporting 64-bit userland, like Solaris2.5-2.6, or
so I hear.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@one-o.com
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me